- Explain state abortion laws and their relationship to scope of practice regulation.
- Identify the general credentialing framework for NPs, midwives, and PAs.
- Describe authority-based and evidence-based approaches for defining scope of practice for NPs, midwives, and PAs.
- Identify the authority of state legislatures and licensing boards to regulate practice.
- Discuss the role of the professions in defining and advancing scope of practice.
This section examines who defines scope of practice, explaining the roles of professional organizations, state legislatures, and licensing boards. First, though, we look at state abortion laws and their relationship to scope of practice regulation.